Re: spongy spider brakes

Alan,
	The same thing occured on my '86 Spider and I performed all the same
remedies as you.  On a suggestion from my local Alfa mech., I had a look
at the rear brake compensator unit.  This much-missed gadget is bolted
to the body near the differential.  I pulled the thing apart and
discovered brake fluid above the piston - where it isn't supposed to be.
 This slow leak past the piston allowed you to stop the car but
continued pressue also allowed the pedal to continue traveling for a few
more inches.  Replaced it with a new one, and all is well again.

	I'm not sure that your '74 has one but I'd check it out.

	Bruce