Re: spongy spider brakes

In digest V7 #890, Alan Lambert says, "My '74 brakes have become
spongy.  Particulars:

"Car still stops very well.

"Tried a complete replacement of brake fluid using vaccuum bleeder--made
no difference."

Alan -- FWIW, every time I have tried to use a vacuum bleeder, I ended
up with spongy brakes.  I now do it "the hard way:" have my wife pump
the pedal while I operate the bleed nipple.  The resulting brake pedal
pressure feels like a rock.

It may be possible to get good results with a vacuum bleeder, but I'm
very fussy about my brakes, and I've got the technique down.  It's like
this: I say "Press," my wife presses and holds the brake pedal; I turn
the bleed nipple and let some stuff shoot down the (clear) line; I
tighten the bleed nipple; I say "Release," and my wife releases the
pedal.  Then we repeat.  About every five or six press/release cycles,
we check the fluid reservoir -- I *have* sucked air into an
almost-finished system by trying just one more pump, and it makes one
feel just heartbreakingly stupid.

One final comment: you mention, "The brakes do not pump up (ie no air in
lines)."  In my experience, pumping up brakes signifies a misalignment
somewhere in the pads, or more likely in the shoes at the rear of
disc-drum cars.  Since the '74 has discs all around, I wouldn't expect
pumping up to relieve the problem.

If it's spongy, you most likely still have some air left somewhere in
the system; the air compresses when you push the pedal, which gives the
spongy feel.  You live in Los Altos, right?  I live just across hwy. 85
from you, and am about to replace all the brake fluid (and pads) in my
'74 Spider, some weekend soon.  I'd be happy to make a day of it and do
both cars if you're interested.

- --Scott Fisher