oil, shocks

I've heard lots of stories about switches from organic to synthetic oils causing noises and bearing failures.  I never could believe them myself.  But I'm starting to be overwhelmed by the anecdotal evidence!

Another interesting topic- in my quest for the ideal shock replacement I called Bilstein U.S. directly yesterday regarding shocks/struts for the 164.  They said that they had a listing in their European catalog, but not the U.S. llistings, and went off to check on time frame for importation for me.  Unfortunately, they called back today and said that, after double checking, the Bilstiens for the 164 will not fit U.S. spec vehicles.

Which begs the question- why is IAP selling them and are they modified?  I dunno, but I will call to find out even though there is no way I will drop a grand on fours shocks/struts for this particular vehicle.