Re: duetto resto/fasteners

>Take a few parts off, carefully clean and label all the
>nuts, bolts and washers, restore them or put them on the BUY-list. . .

OK, so here's a real basic question - not an earth-shattering problem, but
one that's been bothering me as I'm in the *remove-label-store* phase of my
'62 Giulietta project.  Every fastener on my car has a brown (rust) coating.
I haven't tried real hard to clean these, but in just playing around it seem
this coating is not going to be easy to deal with. WD40, LiquidWrench, etc
leaves me with a shinier brown coating. Painted fasteners would look like an
amateur job.  Blasting and replating each of these little parts seems out of
the question. New fasteners would sure look nice, but identifying and
sourcing thousands of misc small metric parts doesn't promise to be much
fun. I guess I'm looking for some *magic elixir* which turns old fasteners
into new ones. Has anyone found such a wondrous chemical?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Lew Rosenberger