Re: Elastic air and inertia

Actually, some standoff will occur on any carbureted motor. They all
have SOME overlap. Even on old, wheezing American pig iron, if you
pull the traditional round top off the air cleaner, you will see some
gas residue on the underside, whether it's a fire breathing V8 with
dual quads, or a wimpy inline 6 with a 1-bbl. I've had both.

As to wild cams, here's a data point (non-Alfa, but Italian). The Fiat
1100 motor in my Formula Junior race car has 80 degrees of overlap,
300 degrees of duration, and about 10.7mm lift after the rocker arms.
It will pull strongly WELL beyond the safe limit of the bottom end
hardware (AMHIK). ;=( Stand-off? You betcha. It has a beautifully
crafted Aluminum air box with ~2" brass air horns inside, and a large
K&N ducted from inside the cockpit (cool air, but no ram effect). I
lined the inside of the air box lid opposite the air horns with cork
to seal it and reduce the howl it makes, and the cork always has a
little coloration on it from the purple race gas I use. The cork layer
is roughly 5-6" from the venturi throats!