Re:Spica fuel inj. bah hum-bug

Tony,

I own a SPICA injected spider, and even though my car runs a little rough
right now,
I still wouldn't trade my injection system for anything.

There's just something about popping the hood, having someone look at the
engine and as his mouth drops open says ...."What the HELL is that thing???"

Then you kindly explain that it was ALFA's way of meeting US emission
standards while maintaining their finely tuned race machines at the top of
the grid.

In speaking with several Alfisti who grew up in Italy working on these cars,
I may have an answer as to why the pumps were meant to be replaced and not
fixed. That is simply because under normal wear and tear, the pumps don't
fail!!!
The pumps were adapted from a mechanical diesel injection system which was
made to run for hundreds of thousands of miles without any trouble. The only
thing you're supposed to do is change the filter and make sure the
ajustments ar OK. That was the intent. From what I can tell, there are 2
ways to screw up a pump :

1-run on empty, causing lack of cooling in pump.....
2- let the car sit for years, and gunk develops in pump.

Remove these two factors, and the pump should last forever. What may brake
down are the options added like the cold-start, altitude compensator and the
temperature lever. These should be looked at first, and dismantling the pump
only a desperate final alternative. The tolerances are so tigh t in the
pump, that even with a manual, I would probably not take a chance doing any
internal work myself.

Just my 0.02$

Frank Forlini