Return of no-start spider

A while back I introduced the Digest to the problems that my father is
having with his '86 Spider.  To refresh everyones memory, the car has sat in
the garage for about 4 years and will no longer start.  Many digesters
offered suggestions which we only recently had a chance to try out.

So here is the latest: The battery is producing 12+ volts; Engine ground
strap has been cleaned; Fuel pump fuse is good; Electrical connections on
fuel pumps have been cleaned; Fuel pumps are getting 10+ volts with engine
cranking; Engine is getting spark; and Engine will run briefly when ether is
sprayed into intake but soon dies due to lack of fuel. Finally and most
importantly, the fuel pumps do not appear to be running.

What would everyone out there suggest that we try next?