Spider going boom in the night

My '78 1600 Spider with Webers has recently developed a new "funny"
problem - it goes "snap, crackle, stutter, bang" every now and then.
The engine has no problems when it's hot and stays above 3000 rpm,
which it normally does. However, dropping below 2500 rpms for a while
and going easy on the pedal is no good. When more power is applied, it
occasionally (1 out of 10 times?) spits and stutters for a while. When
the car is cold, it happens more often.

Anyone with some pointers out there, or maybe some easy things I can
try out in the garage? :-) Any help is appreciated.

regards,
Nils C-:
- --
Nils L. Corneliusen