Re: alfa-digest V7 #872

In #872 Eric Storhok wrote

The kicker is- when was your car first registered for warranted?  If it
has
>not crossed 5 years or 50k miles, then Alfa owes you a new coil, and
likely
>a new catalyst.  While the base car might only have a 3yr, 30k mile
>warrantee, ALL the emissions components are required, by law, to last 5
>years, 50k miles.  Thank the EPA for that- (I mooched a new air meter
with
>this on our 164 LS).
>
>Oh, and for the sake of the environment- in case the cat is still good-
>don't run on 5 cyl very long.  If the engine runs rich at all (which it
will
>with that big slug of fresh air passing the O2 sensor), you will have
excess
>fuel and fresh air in the cat- which will burn up in short order.
Besides
>becoming inactive, it may plug itself up from melting (seen that
too...).

In 94 the emmission warranty law was changed to 2 years 24000 miles.
Seems the aftermarket repair shops didn't think they were getting a fair
share of the emmissions business.  This isn't well known so if you can
find a dealer willing to warranty for 5 and 50 go for it.  If you find
resistance just remember they are right.

chris hall
bowie md