Rams and other sheepish things

When I suggested airflow was pretty well continuous I meant to underline my
point about inertia effects which I do not believe explain the
supercharging effect of intake resonance. I did not know there was a name
for this resonance, but I wanted other readers to be aware that tinkering
with intakes, or exhausts for that matter was not for the rank amateur.
More likely amateur "improvements" will be counterproductive than advances
on factory engineering. Seems as if the majority of postings confirm my
seat of the pants prediction. Be wary when modifying your engine to ensure
what you get is what you wanted. For practical purposes airflow is
continuous through an engine, resonance is more important than any
measurable "interruption " or velocity changes in the piping in or out.  I
think anyway, I'm no scientist, just an interested amateur.
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
91 Alfa 164L, White, original owner