87 Spider starting problem

I have recently acquired an 87 Spider Quad.  I am experiencing an
occasional starting problem that was described by the previous owner.
When the car has not been used for a day or more it will not always
start right away.  The engine will crank to no avail.  If I let the car
sit for 10-15 min or more it will start fine.  Various owners and
mechanics say "yup that's what some of the spiders do".  I've tried
suggestions including a new battery and don't let it sit for more than a
day.

That said I have 2 questions:

1.  Am I alone or is this a common problem?
2.  Has anyone successfully fixed this problem?

Thanks for the help.

- -Mark