re: Getting parts out of Italy

>Does anyone have any recent experience trying to get parts out of Italy
>and back to the US through customs?  I might have some space in my
>luggage for some key peices, but I'm wondering what kind of hassles I
>might run into.

There shouldn't be any hassle.  Auto parts are just like anything else you
buy abroad.  If you're a US resident and the combined the value of all your
purchases is less than $400, there is no tax and you don't have to declare
the individual items when you bring them into the US.  If the value is more
than $400, you're supposed to declare each item and pay whatever tax the
customs service thinks is appropriate.  I've done this many times, and it's
been my experience that they don't ask for any tax if the items (auto parts
or whatever) are for personal use.

If the price of the parts is significant, I'd also recommend trying to get
the VAT back before you leave Italy.  If you get a receipt for the parts
showing your name and US address, you should be able to take it to an
office somewhere in the airport and ask them to refund the tax.  It's a bit
of a job, but often worth the effort, since the VAT is 17.5%.

Dana Loomis

End of alfa-digest V7 #865