Re: Rusty Rockers

I've used three different sources for sheet metal when doing repairs to my
gtv's rocker panels: Centerline, Prins (in the Netherlands), and Alfa Romeo.

The Centerline panels (and the ones obtained in the Netherlands) are slightly
thinner gage material than stock.  Stock metal thickness corresponds to 21
gage material (perhaps in metric mills this is normal?), whereas the
replacement panels are typically 22 gage.  Not a big difference, but you will
find the thinner material slightly more prone to weld-though and denting.

The gen-U-ine Alfa panels I used were predictably the right gage and perfect
in terms of fit and shape.  A local member had them laying around when I got
surprised doing some "minor" rust repairs.  Is rust repair ever minor??

Anyway, if I were you, I'd first have the front and rear fenders cut to
reveal the sheet metal behind them, before proceeding.  If the metal behind
is rotted, I'd recommend the stock style part, which extends BEHIND both
front and rear fenders and includes the outer rocker area. This is the panel
available through IAP, as well as many euro sources such as Highwood
(http://w1.401.telia.com/~u40100700/highwood/spid82.htm), Rainer-Hurtienne,
and Hanel.  On the other hand, if you somehow are lucky and the metal behind
the fenders is okay, perhaps the Centerline panel will work.  You should also
check to see the extend of damage behind the outer rocker under the door.  In
many cases, the middle panel is also rotted, requiring repairs.

Depending on the damage, satisfactory panels can be made by hand which will
look every bit as good as the genuine parts.  All the reproduction panels
I've seen, so far, are not as well formed as the AR parts.  For example, the
fender repair panels typically have deformations in the lips making them wavy
instead of smooth.

Finally, in terms of sources of panels, it appears that most (exept Wolf),
come from a Belgian or Dutch source.  When I used to travel to the
Netherlands regularly, I was constantly amazed at the quantity and variety of
replacement panels they had available (piles of new GTV noses, for example),
and the low prices of these panels.

Anyway, good luck.

bob brady, dvaroc
yardley, pa