The case for special tools

Every once in a while, you have to decide whether or not to buy some
special tool to do a job. Sometimes the answer is obvious. Sometimes the
tool cost is so outrageous you may as well do without, or borrow it.
Sometimes you see one in the store and say, "Gee, it would be nice to
have one of those, but what would I use it for?" Read on.

My favorite special tool of the week is a cooling system pressure tester.
While replacing a dead water pump in my '62 Giulietta Spider, I decided
at the last minute to dig out the pressure tester and pump the system up
before refilling with fresh coolant. Surprise, surprise, the radiator had
a seam leak at the top tank. A little Propane and Solder later, the rad
is holding full pressure again. What would have happened without the
special tool? I would have put the fresh coolant in and the new water
pump would have gleefully pumped it all out on the garage floor. ;=( I've
had this particular tool for quite a few years. I simply wouldn't own an
old car without having one. If you're the DIY type, you really should have
a cooling system pressure tester in your bag of tricks. Mine is a Balkamp
unit, sold by NAPA. It also tests the caps. I think Stant makes one too.

Moral of the story: If you have the perfect tool for the job, use it. If
you don't, strongly consider buying it. I don't think I've ever regretted
buying a special tool.

- --- Simon