164 Automatic Transmission Concerns/Questions

Hello all,

My 164 automatic transmission went south
for no apparent reason (I baby my cars!).   The transmission that I had
installed works fine now, but I'm afraid that the elusive
gremlin might zap this one as well.

Recently,  someone on the Digest pointed out something
that got my attention.  The function of the thermo-valve to allow the
cooling of the oil.  I could not follow what was said about its function
and/or malfunction.  So, I'm hoping that the person that posted the question
(or anyone that knows  how the valve works)  would reply.  If the
thermo-valve functions as a thermostat, I'm intersted in knowing at
what temperature it is should open.  Also, there are two switches on
on the transmission.  One activates the fan and the other turns on
the Max oil temperature light.   They have different trigger points.
How can you distinguish the two?  The wires can easily be interchanged.
I'm not sure what might be wrong, but it would help to know what
to look for.

Thanks for your time
Antonio