re: the Mexican connection

>I was wondering.  Has it occurred to anybody to buy and register a car in
>Tijuana, then drive it in Southern California with a Mexican driver's
>license?  I wonder how long you could get by in doing this.

The writer isn't the first one to think of this.  But, besides the, er,
sticky legal issues involved, there is the question of whether you could
buy that new Alfa GTV-6 or 156 in Mexico to begin with.  The US is not the
only country that restricts auto imports.  Until recently, Mexico had
protectionist laws that did not allow any imported cars at all.  This is
changing now, but as far as I know neither new "Alfa Romeos" or other new
Fiat products are imported to Mexico yet.  The imports currently available
are mostly Japanese middle-class sedans or, for the few who can afford
them, German luxury cars.  The new car market in Mexico makes the US look
exciting by comparison.

saludos,
Dana Loomis