Re: Diesel 75

In AD7-852 Ian Evans asks "Has anyone on the digest had any experience with
the turbocharged diesel 75?  There is such a thing is there not?"

No experience, but yes, there are such things, and no, I doubt that many on
the list have owned one. The earlier version was a two-liter producing 95 CV,
then joined by a 2.4-liter version producing 110 CV. This was one more CV
than the entry-level petrol-engined car, the twin-carb 1570 cc son-of-Giulia.
The factory says the TD was good for 175 km/h, only 30 fewer than the Verde,
but probably with leisurely acceleration, as it weighed 100 kg more than the
Verde. The general specification seems to have been somewhat downscaled; e.g.
the tires were 175/70 x 13, puny by list standards.

Nevertheless, Alfa sold more than five times as many 75 turbodiesels as V-6s,
a bit more than one third as many as 1.6s. I suspect that most of the TDs and
1.6s were company cars, rather than enthusiasts' cars-of-choice.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.