164 rumbles, etc

My understanding is that the bottom end on the V6 engine is very strong. The
mechanic that works on mine says he has done engine rebuilds on engines that
still have a good bottom end at 200,000 km. I wonder if the rumble might be
one of the ancillaries - power steering pump, aircon compressor, water pump,
etc.

My second 164 has a slightly different sound to the previous one that could
almost be labelled a rumbling. My current belief is that it is something
different about the intake noise.

Regarding pinging - when my last 164 pinged it was a signal that it was time
to give the car a run. In Australia premium unleaded is 95 RON but in Europe
it is 98 RON. My experience is that the car is a bit marginal on 95 RON fuel
and won't tolerate any carbon build up.

Doug Gould
90 164L