Re: speed traps and revenue raisng.

Ed,

> As for those groups of cops staking out corners.
> They are usually reacting to complaints from the

With all due respect ...

Although I accept that reacting to complaints from the
neighbourhood is reasonable, in the instance I cited,
this was in a major commercial area. Very few houses
within a mile or so, an intersection of two major far
north Dallas streets. Very unlikely to be anything to
do with the neighbours, and everything to do with
revenue raising.

> neighborhood.  Working in groups like that they can
> nail a larger number of law breakers and put the
fear

And the point of nailing the lawbreakers, AFTER
they've broken the law, is ???

Again, I have a lot of trouble understanding this
concept. If this is so damn dangerous, then catching
them, after the event, except for revenue raising, is
surely counter productive, is it not?

If the true purpose is road safety, then prevention
must surely be the goal. Waiting until afterwards, to,
as you suggest, "nail" them, seems to me to be
conceding the revenue point, and ignoring the greater
(and, IMHO, more relevant) issue of what the alleged
purpose of the laws is all about: safety.

g.                      79 Alfetta Sedan
Gary Stark              69 1750 GTV (resting)
gstark@domain.elided  99 Holden Barina (POS)
http://redbacksWeb.com
Back down under in Sydney, Oz.

Where there's two speed cameras at the bottom of the
harbour, red light cameras everywhere, but the rush
hour traffic the eastern suburbs moves at the average
speed of around 10mph.