164 Questions

Hello Alfisti,

I have some questions concerning my 91 164L.

What is the wisdom about retorquing the heads. The car has 75K and I plan on
adjusting the valves soon. I was wondering while I am in there should I
retorque the heads? If I should retorque the heads do I use the method in the
manual or just retorque the head bolts to spec without loosening them first?

Second. Recently I have noticed that from a dead stop (with engine at
temperature) if I accelerate moderately (start engaging the clutch at 2000
RPM), the engine revs will drop to around 1000 as I release the clutch and the
engine makes a light dieseling sound until revs get to about 1100. If I rev
the engine to 1500 and accelerate slowly or rev the engine to 3000 or above
and accelerate quickly it does not make the noise. On the move I can accerlate
aggressively in any part of the rev band and the car does not make the noise.
I am planning on changing the spark plugs. While I am in there is there
anything else I should check? I have checked the archives and have not found
anything similar. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

91 164L

End of alfa-digest V7 #847