Re: Indy F1 course

In a message dated 6/30/99 12:34:48 PM Central Daylight Time,
jmackro@domain.elided writes:

<< >at: www.indyF1.com. It has also been described as the "safe" type of track
 >with no passing allowed on course, passing only on pit stops.

 Passing only on pit stops?  Is this going to be a race, or a time trial?
 Now,
 I don't follow Formula 1 much, but have other races been run with this
 "no passing" rule?  Certainly I would like to see as safe an environment
 as possible created for the drivers, but....   Am I reading this right -
 they
 can't pass each-other?  Might it be safer still if they just sat in their
 cars and made "vroom vroom" noises?  Sounds like the lawyers have
 gotten involved.

 Say it ain't so!

 Jay Mackro >>

It ain't so. I was being facetious. In the last couple of years F1 has been
called a parade where the winner is determined in qualifying, race to the
first corner and pit strategy. In this years Spanish F1 race, I believe there
was one pass for a points (1-6) position and that occurred when a driver
followed on the heels of one of the race leaders when he was lapping the car
in front. The only exception is when it rains. However, I still enjoy the
races because the cars are so amazing.

John Katos