Be careful on recommending a 91 Spider

In Digest #844, Luke briefly mentions taking a 91 Spider in lieu of
the 94 model, due to value.  Offhand, I would agree, but---last week
at DiFatta's in Baltimore,  Paul, their sole and top mechanic, was
replacing a head on a 91 Spider.  I asked, What for?  Turned out to be
a cracked cylinder head, and that that was not the only 91 Spider
which had suffered from a cracked head and this is with less than 50K
miles.  Paul claims that the head is revised for the 91 version and he
weighed the cylinder heads with previous 2000 heads of earlier years,
finding that the 91 cyl head weighs some five to seven pounds less.
The areas where coolant passages exist have reduced mass, or cross
sectional area and may now be prone to developing cracks.  I know this
is a very small sample set to draw conclusions from,  but felt it was
worth mentioning anyway.  Is there any other incidence of this
occuring?

I would imagine that if anybody wanted to call up DiFatta's and ask to
speak with Paul about this, he would be available to answer any
questions.

Best of luck,   Ciao,   Jay