Re: A/C hot rodding, window tinting

Gregory Scott Said:
>Also, I am interested in tinting my Spider's windows.  Having never owned
>a car with tinted windows, I would be interested in knowing if this
>actually does help keep the car cooler.  It seems like it should...  Also,
>if you have seen a Spider with tinted windows (or, better yet, have a
>picture of it you could send me), please tell me what you thought about
>it.  My main concern is that, with the glass windows tinted, the plastic
>window on the soft top will look sort of weird, out of place, and/or
>cheesy.  Tell me what you think.

It absolutely keeps the car cooler!  I live in Central Florida and have
several tinted and non tinted cars to compare.  As to how it looks I can't
say.  If you want the tinting just for cooling, 3M offers a clear heat
reduction tint that blocks 99% of UV rays and lowers infrared heat
penetrating through the windshield and side windows by 79% (at least I
believe that's the number).  I have seen a Mercedes SL with the side windows
and front windshield tinted dark while the rear plastic windows were clear.
It didn't look too bad.  I think a spider would look better simply because it
only has one plastic window.

I have pulled the factory A/C out of my car, it looked like an amateur job at
the time.  I have since learned that this was the stock system.  I intend to
replace it with an after market system which I expect will have better
cooling ability.
Ed Gibbs
AROC
78 Spider