Re: alfa-digest V7 #836

In a message dated 6/28/99 9:10:01 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 20:25:08 -0700
 From: "John Dohrmann" <jdohrmann@domain.elided>
 Subject: Unidentified Rubber Part in Oil Pan??

 It's me again.  the '86 Spider with the bad distributor and oil pump.  When
 I dumped the last bit of oil from the lower oil pan to clean it, I found a
 piece of hard rubber.  It is black and 55 mm long.  It's cross section is a
 rectangle 19mm wide by 8 mm tall with a 7mm X 6mm rectangle centered on top.
 It looks like a piece of wood trim, except that it is a hard rubber and I
 found it in my engine. >>

It fits into a slot in the labyrinth of the oil pan to block of a passage.
Not sure why they cast the pan that way.  You need to take off the lower half
of the pan to put it in.  If it is as hard as concrete put in a new one.