Re: '77 Spider Fuel Gauge

Henrik Johansen writes:

>> If that's the case, then your sender is in backwards. I don't know
>> if it's the slope of the tank in the car or what, but the float hangs
>> differently depending on which way it's put in the tank. If it's put
>> in backwards, there's a bias towards empty meaning, just like you
>> describe, the gauge will have a head start towards empty even with
>> the tank full, and will get to empty before the tank does.

>Thant might not necessarily be the case. My Spider does kinda like the =
>same thing, but it only started it a few months ago. Before that it =
>worked 'perfectly'. I have not had the sending unit out, but I don't get =
>it to show 'full' after a fill up with top up all the way into the tube =
>it shows something like 3/4, then works its way down to empty, fast.

You're right, yours doesn't sound like the backwards sender. It almost
sounds like the resistance is wrong. Have you checked for corrosion on
all of the connectors? Even a tiny bit of resistance will make your
gauge circuit into a voltage divider and the gauge will only be getting
part of it.

- - Jack