Re: alfa-digest V7 #839

> 	My guess is that it's the old "warp until it jams against something"
> trick. My Giulietta has done this on the speedo needle so it jams against
> the plastic face. The tacho has done it in a different direction, so it
> just looks banana shaped. I know there has been some discussion on the best
> method to rectify this without breaking them, but I can't remember if
> anyone came up with a better method than replacing them with some suitable
> pointing device, ie: toothpick. Anyone? I'm planning on taking mine apart
> in the next few weeks.
>
> 	Also I find it strange that the temp, oil pressure and fuel gauges all
> return to some spot between 1/4 and 1/2 deflection when shut down. Does
> this mean there's some residual voltage still feeding them, or that their
> zero voltage position is not at the bottom? If so, wouldn't they need a
> reverse voltage to read below their zero position, and consequently
> transducers that did this? Seems a bit odd to me. Any ideas? Sorry to get
> off track, but it's been bugging me..
>
> Ian Salmon
> '81 Giulietta (daily road weapon)
> '77 Sud Ti (restoration)
> '80 Alfetta GTV (looking pathetic and bent)

My temp guage is not fouling the glass, though both speedo and
tacho needles are bent.  I would guess that the hands sold for
quartz clocks, such as supplied by Maplin would make a
reasonable replacement, if they can be found in the right length.

Catman

Tyger, Tyger Burning Bright
116 Giulietta 2.0l