Re: 116 Giulietta Electrics

Catman wrote:

>....My temperature gauge
>sometimes sticks.  It appears to be a physical jam, as tapping on
>the glass normally frees it.  Could it be a loose connection though?
> If not, anyone have any idea how hard it would be to disassemble,
>and clean up.  Again, this is not too serious, as the fan circuit is
>completely separate, and the engine does not over-heat, but it's a
>little disconcerting.

	My guess is that it's the old "warp until it jams against something"
trick. My Giulietta has done this on the speedo needle so it jams against
the plastic face. The tacho has done it in a different direction, so it
just looks banana shaped. I know there has been some discussion on the best
method to rectify this without breaking them, but I can't remember if
anyone came up with a better method than replacing them with some suitable
pointing device, ie: toothpick. Anyone? I'm planning on taking mine apart
in the next few weeks.

	Also I find it strange that the temp, oil pressure and fuel gauges all
return to some spot between 1/4 and 1/2 deflection when shut down. Does
this mean there's some residual voltage still feeding them, or that their
zero voltage position is not at the bottom? If so, wouldn't they need a
reverse voltage to read below their zero position, and consequently
transducers that did this? Seems a bit odd to me. Any ideas? Sorry to get
off track, but it's been bugging me..

Ian Salmon
'81 Giulietta (daily road weapon)
'77 Sud Ti (restoration)
'80 Alfetta GTV (looking pathetic and bent)