RE: Cleaning Rocker covers.

Hi Stuart,

<<I remember back a long time ago someone posted a method of cleaning the
aluminium motor parts.  As my memory isn't that good and I've now got
some oxidised rocker covers, any ideas as to how to clean them?
Preferably chemically.>>

I used the method Dave Mericle wrote about in his excellent Giulietta Spider
restoration series that appeared in European Car.  Wet the entire part with
WD40, then attack it with a wire-wheel equipped drill.  Once the part is
covered with a black goo, wipe it down with carb cleaner, then soak it again
with WD40 and repeat the process a few times.  The end result is a very
clean piece of aluminum that looks like it just left the mold.

BTW once cleaned, I discovered that my cam cover was a very poor casting.
Rather than polish it further, I ended up powder coating it in a screaming
yellow crinkle finish, then polished the Alfa Romeo script to a high luster
and finished it up with a coat of clear powder to protect it and keep it
easy to clean.  I am really pleased with how it turned out and would
recommend this process to anyone considering doing something a little
different under the hood.

- -John
Seattle, WA
'69 GTV (Testa Gialla)