RE: Transaxle clutch

>My GTV6 clutch suddenly is making nasty noises.  If
>you depress the pedal all the way to the floor it
>sounds like a lathe with a dull tool bit ... I was wondering if this
>strikes a familiar chord with anyone.   Thanks!

[John Pardillo]

Yes, very much!  One of my GTV-6s started doing the same thing right after
my step-son drove it a few years ago.  Of course I (inwardly) blamed it on
him but it turned out to be the bearing retainer in the nosepiece at the
front of the clutch housing.  This threaded ring holds the "flywheel"
bearing in place, and thus the flywheel.  It had backed itself out a couple
of turns and the flywheel (or was it the pressure plate, I forget) could
now grind on the housing.  I think it was more pronounced when you stepped
on the clutch, so maybe it was the pressure plate grinding.  In any event,
the threads were a bit funky looking so I replaced the nosepiece with one
from one of the spare cars silently rusting away in my backyard (to the
eternal chagrin of my wife).

John
jpardillo@domain.elided
'82 GTV-6 awaiting restoration
'81 and '82 GTV-6 Parts cars
'79 Alfetta wrecked by friend (he paid), gotta pull that hot engine tho!!
'86 Saab 9000T (every Alfisti needs a Saab, and vice-versa)
'85 Honda Accord gets me to work
'94 Trans Sport hauls the mob.