spider fuel gauge, valve cover washers

I have 2 questions:

The fuel gauge on my '77 spider does read accurately.  It
never reads full, and often reads dead empty, even when
there is plenty of fuel in the tank.  There is a lot of
variation in what it reads - much more than just the gas
sloshing around as I drive.  I replaced the sending unit
with a used one from APE, but I still have similar behavior.
How do I check the sending unit and gauge?

The second question is about the washers for the valve
cover.  There are 4 washers and 6 bolts.  On which four
bolts do I use the washers.  (Yes, I know I'm suppose to pay
attention when I take them off - oh well.)  Why are there
only 4?  Does it make a difference if there are washers all
the way around?

Thanks,
Ken