Re: Driveline Shudder

Chris Woodward had asked:

>Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 19:54:20 +0200
>From: "Chris Woodward" <cwoodwar@domain.elided>
>Subject: Spider "Shudder"
>
>I read the original post but never saw a follow up.  My Spider too
>"shudders" when taking off from a dead stop.  Is it clutch time?

Chris:

You're going to need to define "shudder".  Is it the clutch engaging
in a "jerky" manner, or is the driveshaft clunking under the tunnel.
The latter is commonly caused by a failing Guibo joint and/or failing
universal joints.  Now, let me interject MY question - my spider
has just begun doing the "driveshaft clunking" thing - is that
likely to be the Guibo, the U joints, or both?  It doesn't do it
on deceleration, just acceleration.

Back to Chris' clutch - they can get grabby, especially if a bit of oil
gets onto the friction surface.  But if "shudder" is the only symptom -
ie, it isn't slipping - then I don't think there's a problem.  You can
drive for a long time this way, just learning to let out the clutch
more quickly so as to not trigger the "shudder".

Jay Mackro