75 starter

In message , Pottree@domain.elided writes
>In a message dated 6/23/99 7:04:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
>
><< I have a 75 TS from -89, yesterday it suddenly would not start. When I
>turn the
> ignition key everything comes on, but when I try to start the engine
>absolutely
> nothing happens, not even a little click.

You most likely have a dead ignition switch like me.
> I have started the car by pushing it and found out that when the motor is
> running in it's current state the warning light for the generator is
>blinking. I
> opened the hood when the car was running and the generator is at least
>turning.

The charge warning light will stay on unless you start the car with the
key - if you push start it the reset does not occur and the controller
remembers that before you started the car it was not charging.
> I have not had the possibility to check the voltage of the battery but it
>seems
> fine. It does not seem to be a problem connected to the battery itself.
>
> If somebody has any experience of a similar problem or knows what might be
> wrong, please contact me. >>
Try hitting the solenoid with something wood or plastic so you dont have
sparks everywhere. It could be the solenoid is sticking because it got
dirt in it or some fool lubricated it. PO's B*W does this A LOT.

>A similar situation on our 2.5L 75 was caused by a poor electrical contact in
>the paddle-connector for the engine temp sensor.  Unplugging it, cleaning the
>contacts, and plugging it back it was the fix.
>
>It is also possible that there is a short or failure of the relay that
>operates the fuel pump, which is on the engine bay firewall forward of the
>passenger seat.  There are 2 square relays there and I believe it is the
>outboard one.  These are subject to failure about every 75k miles, it's said,
>and without them the car won't start.  But, since it's an Alfa, it could just
>as easily be a corroded contact that can be fixed without even using actual
>tools!
>
>Look for a wiser head than mine to explain, but I have heard from more than
>one source that you should not push start a modern (computer-controlled) car.
> I'm not sure why, but it is an urban legend it will harm the car badly,
>somehow.  Same has been said for using jumper cables to start or be started
>by another car's battery if yours is kaput.  Power surge is likely to burn
>out the brain, I've been told, but before that I helped a lady in distress
>once using my GTV-6 to start her car with cables and experienced no problems.
>
>Good tracing!
>
>Charlie
>AROSC
>LA, CA, USA