High idling V6

My idle is all wrong and it wont be set by the idle speed control device on
the intake manifold. Though this does change the speed it is still far to
high for idling.
The PRM at start (from cold) is 800-900 RPM and then it rises slowly to
between 1200-1400 depending on the idle speed control device setting.
With the MAF sensor disconnected the rpm drops to 800-900 when warm.

Is my MAF broken or in need of service?
I am an electrician so any info on how to measure the device would be nice.

Is there anything else causing this failiure???

Mattias Eliason

'84 GTV6