Re: alfa-digest V7 #828

I run standard H-4 bulbs in my 116 Giulietta, and find they are
plenty bright enough for even the dark depths of the british
countryside, hwoever, I have seen people before talking about 'up
rating' H-4 bulbs as they are not bright enough.  I am missing
something, or is it more likely that there are some poor
connections in the light circuits for these people?  Just curious,
and ready to learn :)

> A while ago, a l-o-n-g while ago, there was a question or two regarding
> brighter headlights for H-4 equipped cars.  Sounds like many of us,
> doesn't it?
>
> At the time there was a new bulb introduced that few, if any, people had
> any info.  They were referrred to at the time has Halogen-Plus, or
> something like that.
>
> I was at the LA HotRod show and swap meet over the weekend, and I found
> someone who had these "miracle bulbs" for sale.  There were two brands
> for sale, one Japanese and one German or Belgian.  They draw about the
> same wattage as a standard H-4 halogen lamp, 55 or 60 watts, but they
> put out substantially more light, similar to a 120 watt bulb.  Sounding
> familiar to anyone?
>
> Apparently the manufacturers are using a different gas combination
> inside the bulb, including xenon, according to the sales person.  They
> are much more blue than standard halogens, sort of like the xenon
> dishcharge lamps on the high bucks sedans and sporty cars.
>
> The European bulbs sold at the show, for $40/pair.  The Japanese bulbs
> were about double that.  (why???)  They were only available in H-4 at
> the time, but H-1s were allegedly on the way.  The inside lights on a
> quad set of 5 3/4s, the brights, could use a bit of help.  I don't need
> that much more light on the low beams though.

Catman

Tyger, Tyger Burning Bright
116 Giulietta 2.0l

End of alfa-digest V7 #828