More Info on Spider Diagnosis

Well, after I sent my previous email, I went out and took the shield off the
distributor and then went to remove the distributor cap - figuring I'd want
to see the rotor move.
Was I suprised.  There are one-inch diameter holes in three sides of the
distributor cap and the contact on the end of the rotor is gone!  I did find
hunks of distributor cap resting on the air conditioning compressor.

Sooooooooo, the new question is -- how much play should there be at the top
of the distributor shaft - where the rotor goes.  I've got a quarter of an
inch or more side play and a half inch up and down.

The real question is - rotor and cap? or entire distributor?

John D
'86 spider quad with exploded distributor cap