Best Spider Diagnosis Wins

1986 spider quad - 56,000 miles.  No known mechanical problems but I've only
had it 3 months.  On the freeway at 3000 RPM in 5th when I feel a stumble.
Just convincing myself it was cracks in the pavement when the engine
stumbles again and quits.  I put in the clutch, rapidly cross three lanes
onto the shoulder.  As I am considering engaging the clutch to see if it
will run, I have no oil pressure so I switch off the key and stop on
shoulder.

Nothing leaking, and dipstick shows full oil.

I crank the starter, the engine fires a little but steady oil pressure light
scares me.  Wait for trooper, call tow truck, get towed home.

Is the problem electrical and the oil light only came on because the engine
quit with the key on?  Or  do I have a problem with the oil pump/distributor
driving gears?

I'm looking for guesses of the problem plus suggestions of what to check to
confirm a diagnosis.

John Dohrmann
 '86 spider quad