rally on a budget?

Howdy,

For some reason, I am very fond of rallyes. When I finally snap and get
tired of the Silicon Valley grind, I want to take off and do one in a major
way, at a major expense (my ship has not come, kinda got lost at seas, but I
still have hope). I loved the article in the Cams about the guy in Africa,
driving his Giulia sedan, speeding by antelopes, hippos, and other
wildlife...(that is why people have those steel guards on SUVs in
California, no? Just in case a herd of zebras shows up on Hwy. 101 when they
are about to exit...)

In the meantime, is there anything like a weekend rally? I have never seen
clubs organize such events, nor have I seen them organized on a smaller
scale by others, you know,  without airlifting the cars between continents
and going through deserts with 10 person support crew and aerobic trainers.
There is probably a reason, with US being so lawyer crazy, and the logistic
being more complicated than autocrosses at the local colleges. The other
events are fun, but my wife volunteered for navigator duty, and the treasure
hunt aspect of the timed rally runs really appeals to me.

I am not sure that I own a rally car, either. I might have to get that
Berlina that was advertised here a few digests back.
So...has anybody done a short rally on a limited budget? I can wait until I
am in the position to play with the big boys, but something in the interim
would make a fun vacation.

thx
luke, San Mateo, CA

74 Spider (no dust barrier here), 82 GTV6 (set up for the track, not
rallyes), 95 164 LS (too comfy for a rally?)