Re: Ricambi Super Sport Suspension

My '74 gtv has the ricambi super sport springs and anti-sway bars installed
on it.  i also have spax shocks.  Comparing this to the stock suspension is
day and night.  I'm very happy with this combination, although some might
find the ride a bit stiff.  I've also found that this suspension (perhaps all
suspensions) are very sensitive to tires when it comes to the tendancy to
over/understeer.

For example, with this same suspension and 14x5.5 wheels with Sears
"Response" tires (185-60) (no flames please :) the car had a tendancy towards
oversteer.  With hard, old pirelli P6's (I think) in 185-70 size on 14x6
Ronal wheels, handling was the same, if not more towards oversteer.  A couple
of weeks ago, with the current Yoko AVSi's (195-65) on the Ronal wheels, the
car was basically neutral, but would understeer some when diving into turns.
Currently, with the same tires and wheels, but with the front shocks on full
hard and the front spring spacers removed (so that the car sits a little
lower in the front), it now understeers a lot.  Turn-in, however, is greatly
improved.  One thing to note on all of these cases is that the car WILL
oversteer, once you've got it rolled over enough (same for the milano, btw).
When it rolls enough, the inside rear tire lifts a little, causing less grip
to the rear, and viola, oversteer.

I'm sorry if I've rambled a little too much, but the answer to your question
is not cut and dry.  I haven't even thrown tire air pressures into the mix,
yet.  I've found that the gtv is a highly tunable car (in all respects).  In
general, it is very neutral; a little braking or throttle can make the car
pivot however you wish.  Mine has the stock upper A arms, and I'd suspect
great changes in handling with camber changes.  Track tires, in particular,
like negative camber.

The only reservation I'd give you about the super sport suspension is to be
careful about the front anti-sway bar.  It is larger than stock and will put
larger stresses on the mounting points, which are not that strong to begin
with.  My rusty '73 gtv had these mounts torn away by the big front bar.
Some (Orion? ) make a rear mounted front bar that is much better.  It's not
inexpensive though.

Feel free to ask me any more questions about this,

bob brady, dvaroc
yardley, pa

- - still tuning......