Alfa and the Shelby Series 1?

Did anyone read the description of the new Shelby Series 1 in the May 24,
1999 Autoweek?

"The transmission is out on the back end of the car, connected to the engine
by a big, solid torque tube.  The shift lever is connected to the tranny by a
rod mounted through several bushings. The design looks sound...."

Does this sound familiar to any Alfisti out there?  How about this?

"We push in the clutch and put it in first.  Or is it third?"  "The
transmission gets no less simple as we shift through the gears.  The one-two
shift is tough to find, the two three even harder."

After an Alfetta and GTV-6, sounds familiar to me.

Jerry in Houston