re: Spider - traffic overheating

I'm sorry, but this is counter to my experience with three different
Spiders ('71, '78, and now '79/'82). The standard cooling system in the
Spider is perfectly adequate to cope with any kind of traffic I've ever
been in if it's in good condition. The reasons to go to an electrically
operated fan are to reduce engine noise at speed and reduce the amount of
power consumed by the engine driven fan, not to improve the cooling. The
cooling is perfectly adequate as delivered, if the cooling system is up to
spec. My '78 held a perfect 185-190 degree temperature while
idling/rolling at 4 mph in a 12 mile long traffice jam last summer when
the temperature was a glorious 108 deg F. with the stock cooling system.

'76-'81 Spiders did have an additional crossbar fitted in front of the
radiator which reduced cooling airflow, but it doesn't compromise the
cooling to any great degree that I've experienced. I've known some folks
to remove it (it doesn't add substantially to any structural rigidity that
I've seen) but it doesn't change things by very much.

Godfrey