Spider - Traffic overheating

It is not your thermostat, it is airflow to the radiator.  The installation
of a  thermostatically controlled electric fan has been a very satisfactory
solution for my 73 spider (and GTV and Berlina).   I got the generic parts
at one of the autoparts super stores for <$100; mounted the fan as a pusher
in front of the radiator and removed the shroud from the engine side of the
radiator along with the fixed fan on the water pump.   Spiders are more
prone to overheat in traffic because of the long "nose" and restrictive air
ducting - particularly at low speeds.  The electric fan will turn itself on
and blow a lot more air through the radiator in slow traffic conditions
than the puny water pump fan, and will shut itself off when your speed
picks up enough to provide airflow.   Side benefits are a large increase in
room at the front of the engine for maintenance, a quieter engine without
the "roar" of the fan, and a tad more HP freed up by removing the fan's drag.

kct, Knoxville TN
<snip>