RE: club affiliation

hi rich,

been getting some interesting responses..

<snip>
> 3) I like to see useful articles on the website
> (i.e., it's an ego thing).

i find your website among the most useful.

> As far as I can figure out, it doesn't really benefit local
> members to put the newsletter on the web. It might be different
> if I didn't have to do a paper copy, but that's not an option.

personally, i'd prefer electronic over paper, even for my local newsletter.
it makes it much easier (for me) to file away useful articles and index them
for future access.

> Most chapters will sell subscriptions to their newsletters (paper
> copies at least for $10 - $20 a year), so if you want to read it,
> you can. Another way to get other chapter's newsletters is to edit
> a newsletter and join the AROC newsletter exchange. (Not for the
> faint of heart.)

i probably should have clarified, but i'd be interested in getting *lots* of
local newsletters, but at an additional cost of $10 - $20 per year per
newsletter, it kind gets expensive.

> if they charged say $1 per chapter newsletter per year to get
> it in electronic form, i'd pay for a few.
> <<
>
> Well I guess we know BS doesn't stand for "Big Spender" :-)
> Is that check or charge?

touche!

again, i should have been a little clearer.  more than one chapter has
already offered up an electronic copy of their newsletter to me for free,
this is something i'd gladly pay for.  i'd just rather not pay printed copy
prices for an electronic copy.  and as i'd be interested in getting a lot of
the local newsletters, twenty or so chapters at $10 - $20 per year is a
little more than i'd want to pay.  $1 per chapter?  definitely.  $2 - $3
per?  probably.  $5 per?  maybe.  $10 - $20 per?  i'd have to get real
selective.

consider this a piece of market research.  i believe that there is some
potential for aroc to make some money here.  maybe send out the electronic
form a few weeks or a month later than the printed copy so local members
have first dibs at the classifieds, but i think in most cases the electronic
form would be very easy to distribute and could be used to generate revenue.

my $.01 (cheap b*stard that i am),

bs