Re: Tire selection

"Best" is an elusive evaluation... depends on what you like, what works,
etc. If your car has the 14x5.5J Turbina wheels, the original tire size
was either a 165-14 or 185/70-14 radial. I have the later, '82 series 5
spoke Campis on my '79 which are 14x6.0J sized, and am currently running
185/70-14 Michelins.

With the 6" width, I'll fit a set of 195/65s next. 205/60s are a little
severe in my opinion, I happen to like the ride that a slightly taller
profile gives. I'm looking for a little stiffer sidewall for better
steering responsiveness, a 195/65 should have more than adequate traction
for any sensible street use.

If you go to a larger diameter rim, I'd check the load rating on the
tires you're interested in to be sure they are safely fitted before
buying. Just running the numbers, a 195/60-15 should nominally be about
.2" taller than a 195/65-14. That's only about a 1% difference in height,
which is mostly insignificant and is likely just about identical to a
185/70-14 in use.

I know the Spider chassis flexes a lot more than the GTV or Alfettas, but
once I got rid of those awful heavy stupid bumpers on the '79 and fitted
the fiberglass replicas, the sensation of cowl shake and flexibility has
just about disappeared. Be thankful you have one of the earlier cars
without all that weight hung at the ends...

Godfrey