Wheels, plus obligatory hi-class sound content

 In AD7-799 Scott Fisher writes "My copy of the IAP catalog, which lists the
GTA wheels, also mentions that they use a unique-to-the-GTA 98mm bolt circle.
That's a good thing for me, otherwise I'd have to explain to my wife why I
want to spend $495 apiece on wheels for the Alfa that already has cool period
aftermarket alloys on it. :-)"

I must raise an eyebrow at the 98mm bolt circle. Never heard of it, prior to
the Alfetta, which was criticized about the more rapid wear of the smaller
bearings required by the more limited hub.

All that the CAS says about wheels is :"Preferably, wider wheels of light
alloy should be fitted. Widths of 5, 5-1/2, 6, and 7" are available for the
standard four-bolt pattern as used on the 1300 and 1600 cars. Refer to the
Performance Options Catalog - - -" The CAS and the POC may both be wrong, but
why would Alfa have bothered to go to a smaller hub for the GTA?

Scott also proposes the Panasports: "They're fairly close reproductions of
the Minilite wheels which were de rigueur on all kinds of sports cars in the
Sixties  - - - and they look very appropriate (not to mention gorgeous) even
on an early Sixties Alfa."

I won't question Panasports or Minilites for track or autocross use, but
would question whether they are as natural an aesthetic fit on an Alfa as,
say, the original style Cromadora "Daytona" star in the same IAP catalog
group for about the same price. The natural home for a Minilite is a Mini, or
perhaps a Ford Cortina. The difference is akin to that between Italian and
English wood-rim steering wheels; spiral wound laminations in one case,
riveted alternating layers of contrasting obeechee and mahogany in the other.
I would put a Nardi wheel on an Aston, but would rather not put a Derrington
wheel on a Ferrari. But if you want to, slip a cassette of a Beecham
recording of "Greensleeves", or maybe some Purcell, perhaps The Deller
Consort on "Come ye Sons of Art", into your tapedeck and drive on, James.

John H., ducking