Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 14:30:39 -0700

Original post:
I know of a couple Alfa V6's (12 valve) that can make over 300 HP and
torque to match WITHOUT a turbo.  I know one guy using Haltech EFI and
some creative head work that made 290hp and 255 ft/lbs on a dyno from a
2.8 motor, and with a much flatter curve than the turbo could muster.  I
wouldn't condemn turbos, because I know what they can do, but you CAN
get some awesome numbers from an Alfa V6, without huffing and puffing.
A well designed twin turbo system with decent ignition system, will cost
you $5000 or more.  Give me your $5000 and I will give you specs on a
KILLER normally aspirated motor with more torque below 4000 rpm and much
more driveability than a full house turbo.  Don't count on using "S"
cams, pistons or anything that says "Bosch" on it, however.
Yeh, but put 5000 bucks into engine mods and you get a whole butt load
of power along with added unreliability to your Alfa.  Put a Turbo on
and you get more power along with decent reliability (with regular oil
changes, synthetic of course).  A 5000 dollar engine job usually
consists of high compression heads and pistons, big porting, oversized
valves, cams, and all those other goodies that kick ass but send your
motor to an early grave.  I have seen turbo cars go for 200,000 miles
(with the exception of a few turbos here and there), try and squeeze
that out of a tricked out motor.

Scott Corsaro
Scottc@domain.elided
619.625.0010 x57