Re: Need 164 help

In message , AlfaBill <alfabill@domain.elided> writes
>Ok, I'm asking now...
>
>Sofia, after an exciting life on the road with AlfaBill, is starting to
>show some grey hair. 95,000 miles and she is still healthy but feeling
>her age lately.
>
>Here's the problem
>1) The car has had a nasty miss/splutter under low rpm load, not
>consistent, and it seems to be in lower half of rpm range. Fuel filter
>is recent. Ignition is all fresh, cap, rotor, KV85 Maggies(-pretty
>too...), Lodge plugs, O2 sensor. I think it is fuel related. No air
>leaks to be found, new idle speed motor seal, checked the connections
>all over the motor...(can't be carbon...*wink wink*)

Strangely my Alberto (164) started doing this today. I put it down to
the fuel pressure regulator not backing off the rail pressure. Checked
the vacuum connection - seems OK. I'll check the pressure when I get the
chance, like when days have 30 hours in them.
Another "symptom", if anybody has any ideas, was that it started at the
first turn of the key, as always, but the DFD (Damn fool driver) had
left his cellphone in the locked glovebox, on top of all the gloves. He
(I) turned the ignition off to unlock the glovebox and then tried to
start the car. NO WAY. No start, tried again, nothing.
Checked plugs, not wet but smelled of fuel. Checked AFM was free, fine
there. Couldn't check spark as I can't see the spark from the driving
chair or turn the key from in front of the car.
With the key in the run position I opened the AFM expecting to hear a
click from the fuel pump relay like my 75/Milano. No click. Where is the
relay?
Pulled the AFM connector off, looked at it, put it back on.
Checked the coolant sensor was still hooked up - OK.
Checked the crank sensor was still hooked up - OK.
Shut the lid and got in the car to 'phone breakdown but decided to try
again. The engine tried to fire, then tried again and again to fire.
After a few tries it ran very badly, but was running. I decided to get
to somewhere the AA might be able to find me with the badly misfiring
engine, but after half a mile the problem healed up.
I presume it still has the stumble, very occasionally, when the throttle
is 5%ish open, but this goes when I push the throttle more.
Clues anybody?
Coil is new ish
Dizzy cap is too
Rotor arm is too

>What are the symptoms of a weak fuel pressure regulator?
>And do coils go bad/weak? ie: weak? Can you test it? other than the wet
>finger method? :o)

- --
jonathan coates
older 164, 11 years old in October, 155,000 miles ish.
3 more real cars, two sort-of cars