re: Callaway different than 3.0L conversion

Hi DOug,

    S-cammed verdes usually have close to 200 bhp. But they don't have much torque (relatively speaking). Three 3.0s were dynoed
on the same dyno. The stock one had 200lb/ft of torque while the other 2 with S-cammed cars only had 184 lb/ft of torque. The bhp
figures were just the opposite, 200bhp for S-cammed and 184 bhp for stock.
    I wonder why everytime I see any performance car mags that have modified porject cars, after replacing the cams in a VW VR6,
Honda B18A, BMW M50/M50S/M20 engines they gain both torque and hp. Somehow that is not true for the Alfa 3.0s with S-cams. They
lose torque. At least I think they do. The cars dynoed with S-cams did not have a session while they were stock though. But the
torque difference is too great I think. Anybody dynoed their Verde's?
    I checked the lift and duration of 164S cams and SZ cams, they are different. Maybe we need the SZ cams? Strange.....maybe
the 164S cams work better in the 164 because it has longer runners? I'm thinking of doing the 164 runners and a 528i AFM without
the cams because I really like the torque curve I have.
    One fine day I raced an E30 M3 (had some aftermarket exhaust and wheels) and nearly passed it. (on the way back from Willow
Springs 8-) ). But I missed 5th gear so I didn't get to pass him (rats!). By the time I started gaining on hi again (after
catching 5th) I was already closing to 5500 rpm and the rev limit is at 5750 rpm. But before we reached 100 mph, my car was a
little faster because I was gaining on him. The E30 M3's aren't slow. A light car with 192bhp is nothing to laugh at. It also
looks the part (gorgeous) 8-). Unfortunately the car is very rough (engine, ride etc). Excellent handler though.

Thanks

Zamani
'87 Milano Gold 3.0 (4:10 gearbox w/o LSD)