re: Callaway different than 3.0L conversion

hi brian, you said:
>..."I own a Callaway and have driven 3.0L Gtv6's. They are very different
beasts.
>Unless extensive mods are made (more than cams) the power difference is
>significant. They power/torque curves are also very different between these
>cars..."
====================
mebbe i'm mistaken, but i thought the hp figures for a callaway gtwe6 were
220hp.  w/my afm/ecu mods & s-cammed 3.0, i'm starting to get pretty close -
210hp, ballparked by a reputable alfa guy.  sure feels like 210hp!  :>)
hedders-n-freeflow exhaust will do even more.  i'd also have to think the
power/torque curve would work in my favor - the callaway turbo has a reduced
compression ratio over stock the 2.5, i don't remember exactly what, but i think
somewhere around 7.5:1.  in any event, there's less power than a stock 2.5,
until the boost kicks in.

then you said:
>..."Also the Callaways have proven to be no less reliable than the regular Gtv6

>cars. Reeves Callaway is nothing if not conservative in his engineering...."
=========================
this is basically true for the mechanicals, however, ancillary parts - special
brackets, hoses, bellows, etc., are prone to failure - i sold a disproportionate
number in the one year i was at callaway, considering the few examples out
there.  (you may be rite that there were only 33 made; i thought the # was in
the high 40's - either way, not wery many.)  and, these were custom made parts,
often not on callaway's shelves, sometimes w/up to 3-month wait.  mebbe this is
now better, but i dunno...

don't get me wrong, i'd love to have a callaway gtwe6 - it's yust not as
cost-effective or practical, imho.

doug s.

End of alfa-digest V7 #798