parcel post to- uh, how you spell that?

Marco in Croatia asks:
"I have tried to find a cheap way of shipping parts to the Croatia from the
US, and I probably did something wrong. I mean, why are all of you quoting
the prices of about 150-200 bucks, when USPS (United States Postal Service),
ships 10 pounds (5 kg?) package to Croatia, together with insurance and
return receipt for 32$ (surface mail, 4 to 6 weeks), or for about 50$ (air
mail, 7 to 9 days)? Is there something wrong with their service, or?"

Probably the size and weight limits kick in. Just phoned the local substation
and asked the size and weight limits for overseas parcel post? The lady asked
"where to" and I answered "Croatia." After a few minutes she said she
couldn't find no country named Croatia, so I said OK, try England. She was
able to find England, and said no more than 66# (just under 30 kg), length no
longer than 66" (1.67 m) and combined length and girth 108" (2.75 m).
Probably the same for most countries. A timing cover or a wheel would make
it, a transmission wouldn't, a dashboard would on weight and length but not
on combined length and girth, etc.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C. (Huh? Where dat?)