re: O2 Sensors and Euro Downpipes

In AD v7n784 (I finally caught up with my reading!), Philip wrote:

<snip>
However, the work is being done at a garage and they're insisting that they
going to have to tap the one downpipe and insert the O2 sensor in....  <snip>
Can anyone back me up on this... Had the pipes needed an O2 sensor, it would
have had provision for it correct?..... <snip>

Sorry, WRONG. The CAR needs it, not the pipe. The car is certified (even in
Canada) to a certain specification. Gotta have all the equipment in the
certification or the car is illegal. While the legality may not bother you,
it will most certainly bother a reputable business (sounds like you are
dealing with one). They could lose their livelihood if they messed with
removing certification required parts.

Emissions on the NA continent are important (to at least the law makers) and
every new car since about '68 has emission requirements that it must meet.
These usually include equipment as well as exhaust output these days.

The pipe you described is for a Euro spec car, which does not require the
same emissions equipment. Their emissions laws are not as strong or as
advanced (read that "restrictive") as the NA continent (although they are
coming on, note the discussions recently on unleaded fuel in the UK and other
places).

By not installing it, the shop could run afoul of the emissions folks who, if
they are anything like the USA bunch, can pretty well shut the shop down with
massive fines. We're talking federal law in the USA, not just local laws,
probably similar in your area. Big penalties, too. Not a group to mess with.
Even if the emission folks are wrong, they have deeper pockets for court than
a shop would. The wise shop will not break the law just to please you (you,
however, can install the pipe yourself and likely get away with it because no
one is there inspecting or seeing).

Best to put the o2 back in, even if you don't care about the engine and
mixture (which wasn't a part of your original post, so I assume your interest
is low).

Sorry for yelling.

ciao

Tom
'63 Spider (emission equip = Solex + Exhaust)
Seattle